Comparing Electricity and Gas Suppliers in NSW and Sydney
Comparing electricity suppliers in NSW is a challenging task. While the New South Wales electricity market is heavily scrutinized by the government, it is perhaps one of Australia’s most confusing markets to fully grasp and understand.
It helps to first understand the basics of an electricity comparison:
- The market is broken up into 3 distributors: Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy, and Essential Energy. These are the companies that maintain the lines, read the meters, and fix the faults.
- For each distributor, each household will have a different tariff and a different rate structure depending on your type of meter.
- Each retailer can have a different set of rates for each meter. Their discounts will vary drastically from 2% up to 10% off.
How to Do an Accurate Electricity Comparison for Your NSW Home or Business
- Call your retailer and determine what electricity tariff your home is on. In New South Wales and Sydney, there are four basic tariffs or meters, and they will advise you accordingly.
- Determine your current peak rate and, if applicable, your off peak rate from your current bill. These rates will be located on the back of the bill.
- You will see: Peak Rate, Off Peak Rate, Should Rate (if applicable), and “service to property charge” or “supply charge”.
- Start calling energy companies to get price quotes. Peak Rate/Off Peak Rate/Supply Charge – Use only EX GST rates as GST gets added on the front of your bill.
- Percentage discounts/ credits off your bill.
- If discounts apply off the total bill or just the rates.
Warning: Not All Electricity Companies in NSW Offer the Same Deals
In NSW, electricity suppliers can offer vastly different plans. That is why it is critical to use a comparison service like ElectricityWizard to help you fully understand exactly which supplier will best meet your needs.
- Compare apples to apples.
- Ensure the supplier payment method suits you. Protect you from “unexpected” rate rises.
- Make sure you are free to move homes without penalty.
- Protect you from a contract with massive penalties.
- Get you the “solar buyback” that you deserve (for solar system users).
- And much, much more!