Post on June 12th, 2015
Queensland represents the third largest electricity market in Australia, after New South Wales and Victoria.
Electricity is distributed to 1.6 million homes and 200,000 businesses. Queensland now operates under Full Retail Competition as of July 2007.
Before that date, customers were not able to freely choose their electricity provider. The energy market in Queensland has seen some huge changes over recent years. Fluctuating prices, huge infrastructure overhauls, and changing government tax and rebate schemes have made for an uncertain few years. Electricity Wizard has up to date information on the range of gas and electricity companies and discount prices in Queensland.
The Queensland electricity industry is made up of:
- Generators – In Queensland, electricity is generated at a large number of power stations using a range of fuel sources including coal, gas, oil, hydro, wind, and solar. These electricity generators include both government-owned corporations and private companies.
- Transmission – Electricity is then transported via a large transmission grid or network. Powerlink Queensland owns and maintains the high voltage transmission grid.
- Distribution – Electricity distributors oversee the maintenance of poles and wires, carry out repairs, and ensure a safe and reliable local network. There are three main electricity distributors in Queensland: Energex, Ergon, and Essential Energy.
- Retailers – Retailers buy electricity from the wholesale network. They re-sell the electricity and manage customer accounts and billing. There are an increasing number of energy retailers. Electricity Wizard can help you to compare the best electricity supplier for you.
Looking For Electricity Distributors in QLD?
There are three major electricity distribution companies supplying Queensland.
- Energex is a government-owned electricity distributor supplying customers in South East Queensland.
- Ergon Energy is a government-owned electricity distributor supplying customers in regional Queensland.
- Essential Energy is a New South Wales energy distributor supplying customers in areas along the Queensland – New South Wales border.
All electricity prices are regulated by the Queensland Competition Authority to ensure that reasonable prices are made available to customers. The Authority continually monitors the quality of electricity service provided to ensure that customers receive an appropriate standard of service. Read below to know about electricity distributors in QLD.
Queensland and Brisbane Electricity Suppliers
Electricity retailers are companies that supply electricity to customers and businesses and bill customers for their service. Retailers do not own wires and poles, but they purchase electricity wholesale to resell to customers. Retailers work as middlemen between electricity distributors and the customer, paying a fee to use electricity networks to supply power to homes and businesses.
There are an increasing number of energy providers that sell electricity to homes and businesses in Southeast Queensland:
- 1st Energy
- Alinta Energy
- Click Energy
- Diamond Energy
- Dodo Power and Gas
- Energy Australia
- Energy Locals
- ERM Power Retail
- Locality Planning Energy
- Lumo Energy
- Mojo Power Pty Ltd
- Momentum Energy
- Next Business Energy
- Origin Energy
- People Energy Pty Ltd
- Red Energy
- Sanctuary Energy
- Simply Energy
- Tango Energy