Tips to reduce your energy bill without buying anything
Due to recent power issues in Australia, have you been looking for ways to reduce your energy bill but haven’t found a solution that doesn’t require buying a sophisticated and usually pricey energy-saving gadget? When the budget is tight, it pays to know the fool-proof tips to lower the cost of energy without spending a cent.
Check out these tips that will help reduce your energy bill without buying anything.
How to lower your energy bill without a cost
Use heaters efficiently.
As the winter sets, you may find the need to use heaters more often. This could lead to a huge increase in your energy bill when energy-saving practices are not followed.
- Do not heat rooms that are not in use. This leads to energy waste. If you’ll be staying in a room, just heat it for 15 to 20 minutes and use blankets and proper clothing to stay warm.
- Retain warm air. Once the room is already warm, it is important to ensure that warm air will be retained and won’t escape. Use thick curtains and blinds to retain warm air. Also, check for leaks or gaps that may bring cold air in.
Do not overwork your air conditioner.
Another appliance that consumes the most energy in your home is the air conditioning system. While it may be a source of comfort, it can also cause a lot of stress when energy bills soar.
Here are some of the practices you can follow that will keep it from overworking to make it more energy-efficient:
- Turn off other appliances. Computers, ovens, television, and other electrical devices generate heat and cause your air conditioner to work harder to maintain the ideal room temperature.
- Keep it clean. Regular maintenance of your air conditioning system will allow it to function efficiently. Clean or replace filters regularly to prevent high energy costs.
DID YOU KNOW: Heating and cooling account for 20-50% of household power usage on average.
Make your fridge energy-efficient.
Cleaning your fridge helps consume less electricity. As one of the appliances in your home that accounts for the most electricity consumption, keeping it in good condition can help lower your energy bill.
Start by cleaning the coils. This alone can help reduce energy use by up to 30%. You may vacuum the coils at the back of the appliance. Get rid of dirt, hair, and other particles that may have already gathered there to allow heat to escape and prevent your fridge from working harder which results in higher energy consumption. Aside from reducing energy demand, this is also an effective way to prolong the life of your fridge.
Another ‘no-cost’ way to reduce the energy consumption of your fridge is to follow correct practices.
- Prevent unnecessary opening. When the door of the fridge is opened, warm air can enter and heats the cold air inside it. When this happens, a significant increase in power consumption occurs.
- Put it in the right location. Keep your fridge away from places where it is exposed to heat. It is also important to make sure that there are a few inches between the back of your fridge and the wall to allow proper air circulation.
- Do not overfill. To make your fridge energy-efficient, make sure that it is not overpacked but make sure that it is filled with just the right amount. The things you put in it can help retain cold every time the fridge door is opened.
Fill up the dishwasher.
Most dishwashers have energy-saving features; however, if you will use them more than you’re supposed to, they could also impact your energy bill. One way to make the most of this appliance is by running the wash cycle when it is already full. By doing so, you will be able to reduce water and energy consumption.
Switch to a new energy provider in Australia.
Another way to lower your energy bill without spending a cent is by switching to a new energy provider in your area. You might have already overlooked checking other electricity providers and you may already be missing out on deals that can save you a lot of money.
Finding and switching to a new energy provider is quick and easy. You can compare energy providers in your area without any paperwork required. Check out this free energy comparison tool.
Simple switches to what you have been usually doing can lead to a huge reduction in your energy expenses. Take note of the tips mentioned above so you can enjoy huge savings on energy and money in the long run.
Check out the list of electricity providers in your area and compare. Visit Electricity Wizard today.