Compare Electricity And Gas
Post on June 13th, 2015
Taking a moment to compare gas and electricity prices could save you big bucks every year on your annual power bills. The best way to compare gas and electricity prices quickly and accurately is by using an electricity comparison service like ElectricityWizard to do all the hard work for you.
By spending just a few moments on an electricity price comparison, you may find out how much you could save on your power bills by switching energy suppliers to a company that offers lower electricity and gas rates.
ElectricityWizard will provide you with a free quote at no obligation to potentially get you lower electricity and gas rates today. To get started on your quick, easy comparison, simply fill in the form below for more information or call 1300 557 701 to speak to one of our experienced customer service representatives!
Conserve energy for cheaper electricity and gas
The first and most important step to reducing your energy costs and getting cheaper electricity and gas rates is to compare suppliers using our accurate electricity comparison service. From there, you can evaluate your home to find clever, efficient ways to conserve energy to save even more on your annual power bills.
However, there is more you could be doing right now, and you don’t even have to pick up the phone.
According to electricity and gas retailer Australian Power and Gas, you can conserve energy and save money on your annual power bills by taking a few simple steps. You’ll not only reduce your power bill, but you’ll reduce your impact on the environment, too. Along with retailer Australian Power and Gas’s tips, here is what we recommend you can do to reduce your energy use around the home:
- It might sound obvious, but turning off all the lights in your home when they are not in use will play a huge part in saving energy. Leaving unnecessary lights on leads to unnecessary costs, so only have the light on for the room you need to be in.
- Turn off any non-essential appliances at the wall, instead of leaving them on standby mode. Appliances like computers, TVs, dryers, washing machines, microwaves, kettles, and even phone chargers use up a surprising amount of power then they’re still plugged in, so turning them off at the wall, or unplugging them altogether, will save you quite a bit of energy.
- Encourage everyone in your house to take a shorter shower each morning. Keeping your showers to four minutes has been shown to not only save our precious water supplies, but save energy at the same time.
- Dry your clothes outside instead of in the dryer. Drying four loads of laundry outside, instead of using your dryer, has the potential to reduce your electricity bill almost $150.
- Take advantage of our beautiful Australian weather and try cooling and heating your home using natural methods. Close your windows, blinds, and curtains during summer to keep the sun’s heat out, then open them up again when the sun starts to set, and let the cooler evening air in.
- Use a fan instead of the air conditioner. A fan works out to be 80% cheaper to use, and can help you save up to $200 a year on your power bill.
- When you do switch the air conditioner on, think about the temperature. It doesn’t need to be icy. Setting it to between 23°C and 26°C can save roughly $80 on your power bill. For every degree that you increase it you’ll save roughly 10% on the cost of electricity it uses. The same goes for winter, but in reverse.
- Like with lighting, you don’t need to be in every room of you house at the same time, so only cool or heat rooms that you’re actually using. Closing internal doors to rooms in the house that don’t require cooling or heating helps you to run a more efficient household, as it’s much quicker and cheaper to heat or cool one room, as opposed to your entire house.
- Use door snakes to reduce draughts in cold weather.
- Check and replace the seals on your refrigerator to make it more energy-efficient.
- As the average four-person Australian household can comfortably survive on one fridge, if you’ve got two fridges, consider downsizing to one. Older fridges use anywhere from two to three times more electricity than newer, energy-efficient models, and running on only one fridge has the potential to save you up to an estimated $200 a year on your bill.
- Much like a more efficient fridge, look at the rest of the appliances you’re using. Make sure to use appliances that are the right size for your needs so that energy isn’t wasted during use.
- Only use the oven to cook large meals; use the microwave for smaller meals and snacks to conserve energy.
- Running high-powered appliances like your dishwasher or your washing machine during off-peak times means you’ll be charged less for your use. So find out what hours your retailer considers to be off-peak, and do your washing or wash your dishes then.
If you want to take it to the next level and reduce your energy bills even further this year, it pays to assess your light bulbs. If you replace regular light bulbs with energy-efficient alternatives, you could save up to 75% on energy on your next power bill! Energy-efficient light bulbs last eight times longer than regular light bulbs and will reduce your total energy costs for the year dramatically.
By using the tips above, you’ll not only be benefiting the environment, but you’ll be putting well-deserved money back into your bank account. When you compare energy retailers to choose the cheaper rates near you and conserve energy around the house, you’ll be paying lower power prices than ever before!
Get a better deal on your electricity and gas bills.
When trying to get a better deal on your electricity bill it helps to know what to look for when comparing electricity suppliers and plans. Here are some key points to think about when comparing prices:
- Read the terms and conditions – Have a careful look at the fine print of your plan. Know the tariff you’ll be on, and pay attention to any caveats, clauses, and conditions. This is important so you can be aware of any rate or price changes in the future, and you can avoid any plans that have the potential to make things expensive for you in the long run.
- Know what type of plan you’re getting – There are generally two types of plans available to the consumers: fixed rate plans and variable rate plans. A fixed rate plan means your usage rate is fixed for the length of the contract, and a variable rate plan means the usage rate can change, whether it’s due to the wholesale cost of energy, or at your supplier’s discretion. If you want peace of mind that you’ll always get charged the same rate (and adjusting your energy use accordingly), choose a fixed rate plan; if you want the chance to potentially see your electricity rates go down, while also reducing your energy use, look into variable rate plans.
- Ask about matching rates – Much like in other markets, a lot of electricity suppliers are willing to match, or even beat, energy rates set by their competitors. If you find a supplier that matches your needs simply ask them if they’re able to match or beat a rate set by a competing supplier—this gives you the power to get what you want, and go with a supplier that you prefer.
- Ask about discounts – Many suppliers are also willing to offer incentives to draw you in as a customer, and discounts are no exception. Ask if there are any discounts offered on your plan—it could be something as simple as a discount on opting to email correspondence, switching to direct debit billing, or even paying your bill on time every month. But make sure you know what portion of your bill the discount applies, and how long it applies for.
We recommended that you look at comparing electricity rates and suppliers every 12 to 24 months. This lets you find more competitive rates regularly, and gives you the opportunity to take advantage of any better deals, or any new technology that’s available.
With the number of suppliers around today, comparing electricity suppliers and rates can sometimes seem overwhelming. We’re here to help you make sense of it. We can help you get the plan that suits you, so you can reduce your annual electricity and gas prices, and reduce your energy use at the same.
At Electricity Wizard, we do all the hard work for you. When you call us, we’ll compare your rates and plans against our preferred suppliers available in your area and help you select a great plan for you to cut down costs and meet any other criteria you may have. Best of all, our service is completely free, so what do you have to lose?